Data Analytics Track
Get ready to jumpstart a career with global impact. Earn credit while learning in-demand data analytics skills including Excel and Tableau.
Enrollment is now open for Summer 2022!
Enhance your resume by tackling real-world projects from global companies including:
Our World Runs On Data
Data is everywhere. From helping schools expand equal education access to allowing Silicon Valley startups to make advancements in alternative energy, data continuously transforms our lives.
We want to better equip you – the next generation of changemakers – with the tools and skills needed to successfully interpret the stories data tells and make the bold, data-driven decisions that will better our tomorrow.
Earn Credits & Real-World Skills
Two Courses. Six Credits. One Global Tech Experience.
May 23, 2022- July 29, 2022
Cost: 6 credits of summer tuition | Financial Aid Application Deadline: April 10, 2022 | Final Application Deadline: May 3, 2022
COURSE 1 | 3 CREDITS
Intro to Applied Data Analytics with Excel
NOW ENROLLING FOR SUMMER 2022!
This isn’t your typical intro course. Starting Day 1, you’ll learn how to utilize tools like Excel to analyze real-world datasets and solve real-world problems. Data-driven decision making is the future — be a part of it.
After this course, you’ll:
- Accelerate your career with in-demand data analytics skills
- Build your resume with real-world data analytics experience
- Have experience with intercultural training used by the UN
- Demonstrate the ability to interact effectively with diverse team members
- Receive an Excel Specialist Certification & badge for your LinkedIn
COURSE 2 | 3 CREDITS
Data Visualization with Tableau
NOW ENROLLING FOR SUMMER 2022!
Picking up where Intro left off, you’ll utilize tools like Tableau to become a data storyteller. You will learn to apply key design principles and create digestible and dynamic data visualizations to impact the world around you.
After this course, you’ll:
- Accelerate your career with in-demand data visualization skills
- Build your resume with real-world data visualization experience
- Successfully navigate challenging situations with increased emotional intelligence
- Expertly engage in intercultural communication and collaboration with diverse peers
- Receive a Tableau Specialist Certification & badge for your LinkedIn
Intercultural Competency & Leadership Skills
The world is changing how we work and connect with each other. Whether your future team collaborates in-person or remotely across continents, building skills like emotional intelligence, listening for understanding and managing bias will help you stand out in your future job search.
How It Works
Take everything you know about online courses and throw it away. Applying the best of both worlds, this program blends the structured familiarity of in-person classes with the ease and convenience of virtual learning, delivering you the tools and resources you need to succeed. Experience high-quality content, engaging group discussions and develop relevant, applicable skills from the moment you log in.
Instead of being graded on learning theories and memorizing formulas, this course will be open-world, where you can use all the resources around you to solve real problems.
Skill Builders and Portfolio Projects will help you apply relevant concepts and demonstrate your skills to potential employers.
You're going to feel confident and fully supported every step of the way.
If a specific assignment has you stumped, reach out to our 1:1 on-demand Tutoring Center or attend weekly group Study Halls! Need help catching up or have questions? Your dedicated Program Advisor is here to be your personal success coach.
Once you’ve tackled the modules on your own, meet with your peers weekly in LiveLab, a virtual classroom conducted over Zoom.
During these sessions, you’ll have the opportunity to work with your peers and instructor to deepen your understanding and get additional hands-on practice.
Whether you prefer to work at your desk at 2 PM or on your couch at 2 AM, our 100% online program gives you the flexibility to learn your way, every day.
Each week, you’ll complete online modules containing Hollywood-produced Video Lectures and tangible exercises, set to a schedule that works best for you.
What You'll Learn
Each module in this course is designed to make you career-ready, anywhere in the world. Using international case studies and a learn-by-doing approach, you'll analyze data, translate technical details into business needs, and begin confidently communicating the stories behind the numbers with peers from around the globe.
Dr. Robert Alvarez
Robert Really Loves Data
He'll make you love it, too.
A rare blend of real-world experience and a passion for upskilling students, Robert will be your expert guide into the world of data analysis. He devoted his professional life to studying and using data to champion holistic changes in a wide array of fields. After working at large global companies like Intel and diverse institution like NASA, Robert has both the tech skills and the intercultural industry experience to best prepare you for your future data-driven career.
He’ll also attempt to be funny along the way — we apologize in advance.
Artificial Intelligence advisor at NASA’s Frontier Development Lab
Former Supply Chain
Data Scientist at Intel
Former Professor of Machine Learning & Data Science at Santa Clara University
Rum Judge &
I love being able to share my knowledge and passion about data, critical thinking and problem solving with everyone. This class is not a math class. It’s a data class, and we can do so much more by giving students the right tools.
HEY! I'M DANIELLE.
Every week, I’ll assist any way I can during our virtual LiveLabs to make sure you’re properly retaining the info from the Video Lectures.
Right At Your Fingertips
We know you got this. But for the times you need a helping hand, we’ve compiled a slew of resources to make sure you achieve the best results.
Missed a class? Having some issues submitting assignments? LMK! Together, we’ll troubleshoot any hiccups that get in the way of you having a smooth learning experience.
Don't Just Take Our Word For It ...
The lessons taught in this class apply to the real world, and the instructors are passionate about what they're teaching.
SOPHOMORE | History
Great course! One of my favorite courses I've taken in college so far.
SENIOR | Finance
This has been the best class I've taken in college because I felt like I learned something useful for once.
JUNIOR | Comms
“I wish I could have everyone
I know to take this course and know how wonderful it is.”
FRESHMAN | Poli-Sci
It’s such a great class, with understanding teachers that explain things step-by-step and will go the extra mile to help anyone with anything.
Also, the jokes are funny!
JUNIOR | MIS
This course has been great! I am already using my data analysis skills for vendor management at a financial institution.
ALUM | Marketing
The UArizona Global Tech Experience will be offered during the Summer Term from May 23, 2022 to July 29, 2022.
Class will be broken up into two parts:
- The Video Lectures are high-quality, recorded online videos and can be completed any time — day or night — but you will need to stay on track with your UArizona peers.
- The virtual classrooms, LiveLabs, are twice a week, conducted over Zoom video chat with your classmates.
For the UArizona Global Tech Experience, LiveLabs for all three tracks will be:
- LiveLab Section option 1: Wednesdays/Fridays from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM (America/Phoenix)
- LiveLab Section option 2: Wednesdays/Fridays from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM (America/Phoenix)
- LiveLab Section option 3: Tuesdays/Thursdays from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM (America/Phoenix)
More time options may be added in the future. You are required to attend LiveLabs with your classmates weekly.
Twice a week, you will participate in a face-to-face, online session with your LiveLab instructor and classmates to discuss project work and provide Q&A on previous lectures.
You will have access to an on-demand online tutor, a coach to make sure you stay on track, a peer pod for group work and weekly live discussions.
No, these courses are designed for all backgrounds and majors. Rather than starting your courses in theory, you will start with a focus on real-world application, using tools that remove complexity. These courses are not just "open note" — they are "open everything," just like the real world.
These courses will require you to have access to a desktop or laptop computer (Chromebooks and tablets are NOT compatible), stable high-speed internet and a webcam.
- For Windows, a computer with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or later is required.
- For Macs, a model from 2009 or newer is required.
You will receive all other materials and software licensing.
Yes, visiting students may take the course. After reserving your seat, you'll receive instructions with next steps to complete your visiting student application.
- For current UArizona students, the course/ program cost for Summer 2022 is the cost of six- (6) credit hours of tuition with fees, for a total of $3,006.12.
- For non-UArizona students, the course/ program cost for Summer 2022 is the cost of six- (6) credit hours of tuition with fees, for a total of $3,006.12. You will also incur a one time UArizona application fee ranging from $50 to $80.
*Note: You may be eligible to receive financial aid for this program — please speak to the Financial Aid office to learn more.
- Current UArizona undergraduate students are eligible to receive six- (6) credits upon completion of each track/ program.
Students should meet with their academic advisors to discuss how the credit will be applied toward their degree requirements.
- Visiting UArizona students may be eligible to apply the program to a future UArizona degree program.
Consult your program advisor for more details.
- UArizona international students may be eligible to apply participate in the program. Eligibility may vary based on your sponsorship status.
Consult your academic advisor and the international student services office for more details on your eligibility.
- UArizona Graduate students are eligible to take the program. However, you would not receive credit for this program. You would not receive credit toward your degree.
Consult your program advisor for more details.
No, you can participate from anywhere.
All UArizona undergraduate students and non-UArizona are welcome to apply! We do look for a minimum GPA of at least 2.0 for the program.
For students interested in utilizing Financial Aid the deadline to submit your application is April 10, 2022. The deadline to commit to the program is April 25, 2022.The final deadline to submit your application is May 3, 2022. The final deadline to commit to the program is May 10, 2022. Please note the deadline to withdraw from the program is May 10, 2022
The UArizona Global Tech Experience are offered in partnership with Podium Education, the leader in developing online programs that empower universities to prepare students for high-growth careers in the digital economy.